From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Graduation (was Re: [lucy-dev] All dependency licensing issues resolved)
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 01:21:37 GMT
>> That's all and great but this falls down as soon as Marvin (for
>> whatever reason) would be gone.
>
> I wholly disagree with you.

Right. So then there would be just no one committing?
Please explain how that should work from your POV.

>> Frankly - I don't understand the rush.
>
> What rush? I raised this issue months ago, and we actually had some discussions
> about it. Most folks in the community agreed that the remaining item to check off
> was the licensing issues.

Unfortunately in terms of diversity not that much seems to have changed since.

> http://s.apache.org/a08

...even with the new committer on board.

> Months is not a rush.

You are pushing for it - and I don't get why.

> Go read the Lucy reports: the project has been in Incubation
> since July 2010: so it's been about 1 year, 3 months. Every project has a different
> amount of time in Incubation

Exactly. So let's give it the time it needs. What's so bad if it takes 3 years?
Just bringing this up every other month does not bring it any closer
to a successful graduation.

> and every project has a checklist of things to get done
> before graduating. I think we've met that checklist.

Quoting from the incubator guide at
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

"The project is considered to have a diverse community when it is not
highly dependent on any single contributor (there are at least 3
legally independent committers and there is no single company or
entity that is vital to the success of the project)"

That's just not the case yet.

cheers,
Torsten