From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Graduation (was Re: [lucy-dev] All dependency licensing issues resolved)
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:15:35 GMT
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 09:51:26PM -0700, Nathan Kurz wrote:
> I have no particular opinion on this matter, but please take the rest
> of this conversation to private email.  The tone is poor, and I don't
> think it reflects well on Lucy.

Thanks, Nate, for stepping in and noting something I had thought as well, and
thanks to the participants for bringing us back on track so swiftly, because
the content of this exchange has been welcome and productive.

Mattmann's JFDI bulldozer spirit prods an awful lot of progress in the
Incubator and around the ASF.  In this case, it has elicited a useful critique
from Torsten.

Regardless of whether Lucy's graduation needs to be gated on increasing the
diversity of commits, it's true that it would be in the project's best
interest if we improved in that area as much as we have in others.  I think it
is wise for us to stay on top of this issue, and that we shouldn't relax the
pressure until it is truly behind us.

I'm going to continue to work on tearing down barriers to participation.  A
few months ago, someone contemplating a C host binding would have had to
address JSON parsing and UTF-8 validation by figuring out how to integrate
external libraries; those are both solved problems now.  And since
Parse::RecDescent, the last of our CPAN dependencies, is history as of
yesterday, all you needs is a machine with Perl 5.10 and a C compiler on it to
build Lucy -- no CPAN expertise or configuration required.

This work will pay off sooner or later.  I know Peter is pretty
time-constrained, but we have the advantage that since he is already expert on
many areas of Lucy, less bootstrapping is required than for a fresh face like
Brad or Torsten.  Fun times ahead!

Marvin Humphrey