From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] C implementation [was Re: [lucy-dev] All dependency licensing issues resolved]
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 06:09:17 GMT
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:26:02PM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
> /me raises toast

/me quaffs deeply

> With that out of the way, I propose a host language implementation in C to go
> along with the existing Perl implementation. I'm volunteering to lead that
> effort. I think a C implementation can be useful on its own and as a learning
> process for How to Write a Lucy Implementation.
>
> I will happily advocate for a Lucy graduation VOTE once we have another language
> complete.

+1

This will be fun.  :)  C is an interesting choice for a second language.  Lucy
is still designed for OO dynamic languages, and the interface will never feel
exactly like the C from k&r.

> Who's with me?

Huzzah!

First suggestion: start with an svn copy of "trunk/example-lang" to "trunk/c"?
Also, consider screwing up several times to get your commit numbers up,
preferably on line endings so that you get svn blame/credit for every line of
every file after the fix. ;)

Second task: probably build and run Charmonizer.  Basically port
trunk/ruby/Rakefile to the build language of your choice, which was GNU Make
if I recall correctly.  (The same content is in the Perl build, but alongside
a lot of other stuff, which is why I suggest working off the Ruby build.)

It may be hard/awkward/impossible to do everything we need with Make.  We
still have to run the Clownfish compiler from Perl right now, so when we get
to that, we'll need a Perl script that we can run from Make.

Marvin Humphrey