From Nathan Kurz <n...@verse.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Automagic phrase search
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2011 02:02:18 GMT
On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 09:34:58PM +0200, Moritz Lenz wrote:
>> One of my conclusions is that Google & co. usually treat the order of
>> search terms as an important indicator for relevance, while most other
>> search engines don't.
>
> Yep.  A technique was described in section 4.5.1 of the seminal Brin/Page 1998
> paper, "The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine":

If you're willing to do some spelunking, this thread where Marvin
quoted the same excerpt might be relevant:
http://www.rectangular.com/pipermail/kinosearch/2006-May/005012.html

Personally, while proximity search is one approach, I don't see it as
essential.  I think that weighting of full and partial phrase searches
is the more important part, with proximity being just one of these
weighted variables.  For example, I would want a search for "one two
three four" to rank "one two [unrelated text] three four" much higher
than "four three two one [unrelated text]", even if the unrelated text
is quite long.

My thoughts are still close to these:
http://www.rectangular.com/pipermail/kinosearch/2007-June/004204.html

Nathan  Kurz