From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Lucy=>Graduation?
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2011 08:22:24 GMT
> Of the ten people who are officially Apache Lucy committers, there are three
> who have made sizeable contributions of code: myself, Peter Karman and Joe
> Schaefer.  (That report does not reflect the bulk of Peter's code
> contributions, which pre-date the code grant).  Nate Kurz has been invaluable
> to the project, but with a few awesome exceptions, he has typically
> contributed design rather than code.
>
> Historically, there have been two other individuals who've made sustained,
> sizable contributions of code (at least several dozen patches over months or
> years) -- Chris Nandor and Father Chrysostomos -- but neither of them are
> active now.

....and that is the problem that I am seeing. If you were to leave the
project today - would the project still survive?

If the answer is "yes" then there is a community and Lucy could be
ready for graduation. Judging from the subversion logs that is not the
case yet. Maybe some of the stats are misleading because of the
initial import - but still. These are the results of a statsvn run and
the dates of the last commits...

 marvin	152745 (99.4%) 2011-08-23 05:00
 joes	784 (0.5%) 2011-06-01 00:55
 karpet	103 (0.1%) 2011-05-24 04:03
 mattmann	4 (0.0%) 2011-05-20 22:59
 mikemccand	0 (0.0%) 2010-10-14 10:48

> I think the project is
> best served if our energies go towards supporting the people who have somehow
> found a way to contribute rather than worrying over the people who may some
> day find a way to contribute.

But wasn't your argument that incubation hurts finding those future
contributors?

>> Sorry, didn't want to ruin the party :)
>
> A critique is a contribution, and we thank you for it.

I am so looking forward to Lucy being all good and ready - at least
enough so I can help out and use it, too :-p
Marvin, I think you are doing a great job here. I just think we need
more guys like you before Lucy can graduate.

cheers,
Torsten