From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Lucy=>Graduation?
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:24:14 GMT
On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 09:53:51PM +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> I am subscribed to the Lucy list for only a few months (at best) so maybe I
> am missing something (do I?) but frankly speaking as a ASF member I don't
> see Lucy ready as a TLP yet.

TLP or not TLP... FWIW, graduation won't change my routine or my priorities.
I'm still going to be focused on helping self-starters achieve the goals they
set for themselves.

> How many committers are there? How many people subscribed to users?
>
> http://markmail.org/search/?q=lucy#query:lucy%20list%3Aorg.apache.lucene.lucy-commits+page:1+state:facets

Of the ten people who are officially Apache Lucy committers, there are three
who have made sizeable contributions of code: myself, Peter Karman and Joe
Schaefer.  (That report does not reflect the bulk of Peter's code
contributions, which pre-date the code grant).  Nate Kurz has been invaluable
to the project, but with a few awesome exceptions, he has typically
contributed design rather than code.

Historically, there have been two other individuals who've made sustained,
sizable contributions of code (at least several dozen patches over months or
years) -- Chris Nandor and Father Chrysostomos -- but neither of them are
active now.

> IMO adding more languages (even as a proof of concept) will help to bring
> people on board and help to grow the community.  Just going TLP will not
> lower this bar of entry.

It's a good suggestion, and working to make Lucy available from more languages
is already a top priority.  Still, we've seen certain people clamber over the
bar to entry (Joe, Brad), while others have blanched.  I think the project is
best served if our energies go towards supporting the people who have somehow
found a way to contribute rather than worrying over the people who may some
day find a way to contribute.

> Sorry, didn't want to ruin the party :)

A critique is a contribution, and we thank you for it.

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey