From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Tcl bindings
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 03:10:39 GMT
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 04:50:47AM +0000, bch@methodlogic.net wrote:
> Find attached .c, .h, and Makefile; this does -not- actually link against
> anything lucy atm, and in fact guesses at lucy-specific structs, etc. but
> demonstrates a Tcl-ish approach to interfacing.

Excellent!  Thanks very much for this submission and for getting us out of the
starting blocks.

I have committed the files you supplied as r1160531.

> Martin, the Perl XS* files looked to be working lower-level than I think
> necessary to get Tcl bindings working; Perl code looked to be working
> hard to marshal data back/forth; I'd like to get a specific API-call for
> my Tcl/C code to work with and get that hammered out. IIUC, it shouldn't
> be as "fiddly" as what the Perl interface appears to me as.

OK, that's why I think it makes sense to focus on TermQuery as a start, because
it's comparatively easy to deal with in isolation.  TermQuery is just a simple
container class with simple member variables -- you don't need to write or read
an index to create and manipulate a TermQuery object.

TermQuery -- like *all* clownfish and Lucy objects -- is officially an opaque
struct, but for the sake of clarity, here's what the struct definition looks
like when we peek inside.

    struct lucy_TermQuery {
        lucy_VTable* vtable;
        lucy_ref_t ref;
        float boost;
        lucy_CharBuf* field;
        lucy_Obj* term;
    };

Here are prototypes for three functions I think we might work out Tcl wrappers
for first:

    lucy_TermQuery*
    lucy_TermQuery_new(const lucy_CharBuf* field, const lucy_Obj* term);

    static CHY_INLINE float
    Lucy_TermQuery_Get_Boost(const lucy_TermQuery *self);

    static CHY_INLINE lucy_CharBuf*
    Lucy_TermQuery_Get_Field(const lucy_TermQuery *self);

Is that the kind of interface information you're looking for?

> Despite the guessiness of my work, in the spirit of "release early,
> release often", find a mock Tcl interface that should compile w/ minimal
> Makefile adjustments, and work w/ Tcl 8.4, 8.5, and 8.6.

I've committed the files without modification, then followed up immediately
afterwards with commits adding the ALv2 license headers.  Stuff dealing with
functionality, portability and style can always follow on later; getting the
legal stuff right is first priority.

I've opened up an issue to track our Tcl efforts:

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-177

I know I told you on IRC that either mailing list or issue tracker would work
for submitting files, but it will be cleaner if you create a JIRA account for
yourself and upload subsequent patches to that issue using the
"more actions > attach files" feature.

FWIW, this is what I get right now when I run Make on my laptop running OS X
Snow Leopard:

marvin@smokey:~/projects/lucysvn/tcl $ make
cc -shared -fpic -o libtcllucy.so -I/usr/pkg/include -L/usr/pkg/library -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/library
./src/tcllucy.c
./src/tcllucy.c: In function ‘new_termqueryObjCmd’:
./src/tcllucy.c:86: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
ld: warning: directory '/usr/pkg/library' following -L not found
ld: unknown option: -R/usr/pkg/library
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libtcllucy.so] Error 1
marvin@smokey:~/projects/lucysvn/tcl $

PS: My name is spelled c-r-e-a-m-y-g-o-o-d-n-e-s-s, but pronounced "Marvin",
with a v.

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey