From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Automagic phrase search
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2011 03:06:09 GMT
On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 07:02:18PM -0700, Nathan Kurz wrote:
> If you're willing to do some spelunking, this thread where Marvin
> quoted the same excerpt might be relevant:
> http://www.rectangular.com/pipermail/kinosearch/2006-May/005012.html

Haha, I even used the word "seminal". X-D

A lot has changed since 2006 -- we now have ProximityQuery, a subclassable
QueryParser, and expanded tutorial and cookbook documentation.  I'm glad I was
able to give Moritz a better answer today than I was able to give you back
then.

> Personally, while proximity search is one approach, I don't see it as
> essential.  I think that weighting of full and partial phrase searches
> is the more important part, with proximity being just one of these
> weighted variables.

There are many approaches and many techniques... but since Peter contributed
ProximityQuery, I think that's become the easiest one to explore -- especially
since Moritz will be able to rapid-prototype a custom QueryParser in the
language where he is most comfortable.

Marvin