From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Lemon-based JSON parser
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:56:18 GMT
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:30:36PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> > A patch has been uploaded to JIRA that eliminates our dependency on the CPAN
> > module JSON::XS, replacing it with a new parser coded to the JSON RFC and
> > powered by the Lemon parser generator.
> >
> >  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-133
> >
> > I plan to commit in a day or so.
>
> Interesting. Might that be something useful to release as a standalone library?

Yes, that could be done.  I'm not sure exactly how we would market it or what
Apache PMC would publish it, but it ought to be possible.

For our purposes, the strength of this custom parser is that it reads data
directly into Clownfish data structures.  It think we can use abstract macros
to generalize the library, though, so that e.g. ARRAY_STORE(array, tick,
element) is user-defined, allowing alternative object hierarchies to be used:
APR, Perl, etc.

It would be fun to really tighten things up and do a great job implementing
the JSON spec -- maxing out performance, beefing up the test suite, and so on.

Marvin Humphrey