From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] [DISCUSS] Lucy=>Graduation?
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2011 05:33:43 GMT
Hi Torsten,

On Aug 28, 2011, at 12:53 PM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> The only other important question i would wonder about for graduation is
>>> community building.  The Lucy community still seems kind of small, so
>>> there is a question to consider of wether being under the incubator is
>>> (still) helping with the visibility of the project to grow the community,
>>> or if near term community growth would be greater if Lucy graduated to a
>>> TLP?
>>
>> I suspect that Lucy's incubating status hinders community growth.  I don't
>> think we are reaching many potential recruits via the Incubator we would not
>> otherwise reach via other Apache channels.  And I think that the incubation
>> disclaimer plants a seed of doubt in the mind of each newcomer assessing Lucy
>> and determining whether to get involved.
>
> I really doubt that the incubation status is a major factor that
> hinders community growth. I am subscribed to the Lucy list for only a
> few months (at best) so maybe I am missing something (do I?) but
> frankly speaking as a ASF member I don't see Lucy ready as a TLP yet.
>
> How many committers are there? How many people subscribed to users?

The # of committers and people subscribed to users@ (which includes
being an ASF member as well) are things that can increase (or decrease) whether
it's a TLP or not.

> http://markmail.org/search/?q=lucy#query:lucy%20list%3Aorg.apache.lucene.lucy-commits+page:1+state:facets
>
> IMO adding more languages (even as a proof of concept) will help to
> bring people on board and help to grow the community. Just going TLP
> will not lower this bar of entry. I don't think graduating based on
> this hope is a good idea.

I don't think that's the driving force (or hope at least in my mind) behind graduation.
I started this thread because I think Lucy has fulfilled criteria that we set out to
when we entered the Incubator:

* Grow a community outside of Lucene, which includes electing new committers [check]
* Make at least one ASF blessed release (which Lucy did not do in its years under the Lucene
umbrella) [check]

I still believe those are true. We can wait until we vet the final issues with the parser
and JSON
stuff, but those are all actionable, near-term things.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist