From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] LockFreeRegistry CPAN testers failures
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:15:12 GMT
Hi Andy,

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:31:16PM -0500, Andy Lester wrote:
> Valgrind running under OS X?  Oh, I've wanted that a while.

Yeah!  I was really happy when it became available.  I used to run VMWare
Fusion on my MacBook pro with a Linux VM basically for Valgrind alone.  No
need for that any more!

Lucy has a build target that runs the whole test suite under Valgrind:

    ./Build test_valgrind suppressions=~/debugperl.supp

I've found that on OS X you'll need a suppressions file for dealing with Perl.
The "test_valgrind" target tries to create one on the fly (it's called
local.supp), but it's not enough.  And if you've Valgrind/Perl before, you
know that you need a DEBUGGING Perl:

    http://perldoc.perl.org/perlhacktips.html#MEMORY-DEBUGGERS
    http://perldoc.perl.org/perlhacktips.html#valgrind

> This one? http://www.sealiesoftware.com/valgrind/

That page is a little out of date.  It used to be that you had to get Valgrind
directly from the repository if you wanted OS X support, but now you can get
an official release.

     <http://valgrind.org/downloads/current.html#current>.

Marvin Humphrey