From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] Dummy bindings for language XYZ
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 23:32:46 GMT
Greets,

I think we should consider adding a directory at the top level of Lucy trunk
which would house the bindings for a dummy programming language called "XYZ".

    trunk/xyz/

The inspiration for this was an extended IRC chat that we had today with a
potential contributor who would like to work on bindings for TCL.  While we
were able to point him at some of the files that would be need to be ported
and functions that would need implementing, we were unable to provide a task
that he could complete and feel as though he had gotten traction.  Right now
there is only "write bindings for all of Lucy so you can run Lucy's tests" or
nothing.

The trunk/perl directory can't really serve as a template right now because it
has too much in it.  As we add more languages, we will need to abstract out
much of its contents.

Joe has given us a great start with his "canonical build system" initiative
based on Makefiles for Charmonizer.  I propose that we build on Joe's efforts
by making the first stub we write for XYZ build and run Charmonizer, then
build and run Charmonizer's tests within the context of XYZ's host build
system.

Then potential contributors for Ruby, TCL, Go, etc would be able to get
started by following the XYZ template.

To make things easy, XYZ would actually be GCC-flavored C99 on Unix, and the
build system would be GMake.  Portability is hard and requires a certain
amount of indirection and verbosity; I think we should keep our XYZ
portability ambitions in check for the sake of easy digestion.

Marvin Humphrey