From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Last minute tasks before inaugural release
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 03:16:13 GMT
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 09:06:25PM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> > The download page issue will be moot shortly.  Our multi-page site has been
> > sent live, and we now have a placeholder at
> > <http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/download.html>.  I'm working on getting
> > real download page set up.
>
> Holy crap!
>
> This page is awesome! Our website is awesome. YOU are awesome!

I'm glad you like it. :)

Credit where it's due:

  * The CMS system is easy to work with -- thanks Joe!
  * The overall aesthetic is a close variant on www.apache.org.
  * The information design and content is influenced by Apache Forrest, the
    Incubator's website guidelines, and also by the very nice CouchDB
    website (<http://couchdb.apache.org>).

FWIW, I'm thinking about creating a branch for the site, genericising it for
"Apache Foo", pushing through another round of revisions, and supplying the
end product to the Incubator as a template for new Podlings to use.

> > (Hmm.  I wonder if that page ought to be named "download.cgi", like the
> > excellent HTTPD download page at <http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi>.
It's
> > much more user-friendly than this Lucene page I used as a template:
> > <http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/releases.html>.)
>
> Meh, no biggie. Either way.

I ultimately went with download.html after looking at the CouchDB downloads
page.  I think it's better to delegate to closer.cgi and land you on a mirror
when you click to download -- that way we keep the main page cleaner since we
don't have to include a bunch of cruft about choosing a mirror.

> > It also just sounds rushed and amateurish to refer people to an "under
> > construction" web page.
>
> No one said that. I was simply suggesting that we put (what I've seen to be
> pretty std) text that says downloads will be available over the next XX
> hours (could be 48, 72, etc.). I'm not sure I appreciate the "amateurish"
> comment.

It seems that I both misunderstood your intent and chose my words poorly.
Sorry twice.

> Well with my mentor hat on, I have to say -- there is only so much PR and
> marketing a podling can do since it's not an official Apache TLP release.
> That is, sending emails to general@incubator.a.o, the dev/user lists, etc.

Between the ReleaseGuide, IRC and a question that was asked and answered on
general@incubator yesterday, a plan has coalesced for the following
notifications to go out:

    * Chris Mattmann sends to:
      o lucy-dev
      o lucy-users
      o general@incubator
      o announce@a.o
    * Marvin sends to:
      o perlmonks.org
      o Portland Perl Mongers
      o San Diego Perl Mongers
    * Peter sends to:
      o perlbuzz.com
      o Minneapolis Perl Mongers
      o Kansas City Perl Mongers

The downloads page for our website is now committed and staged.

    http://lucy.staging.apache.org/lucy/download.html

As far as I'm concerned, we're ready to announce!

Chris, when you are ready to send out your notices, please publish the site:

    https://cms.apache.org/redirect?uri=http%3A//incubator.apache.org/lucy/

Peter, I think you can feel free to roll the CPAN tarball and upload it via
PAUSE at any time, as the release vote has now officially cleared and all of
the concerns raised in this thread have been addressed.  It would be nice if
it has the chance to propagate to some fraction of the most popular CPAN
mirrors before you and I send out our notices.

Marvin Humphrey