From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Last minute tasks before inaugural release
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 13:29:37 GMT
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 09:41:10PM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> I'll wait for the "go ahead" for release announcements, but that shouldn't
> block me pushing out the bits to the mirrors, which I'll do.  As the RM for
> the release though I'd like to send the announcement to announce@apache.org,
> and general@incubator.apache.org, which is pretty std practice.

-0

I trust your judgment, so please do what you think is best.

Nevertheless, here's my rationale: other people who are already involved with
Apache are Lucy's most valuable potential recruits.  Of all the possible
candidates out there, existing Apache community members will cost the least to
integrate and will be most likely to stick around.  I think it should be our
top recruiting priority to present a good impression to the people in this
demographic and give them the maximum possible chance to click on a link, get
interested and get involved.  While our Apache internal announcements may
serve administrative purposes, we have only so much contact with the rest of
the foundation and we should make the most of our limited opportunities.

If my reasoning is faulty, it would be helpful to me to understand why, though
again, please do as you see fit.

Sorry, I meant to get more done this weekend so that your work as RM could
conclude smoothly, but surprise family visits and and then collaborating with
Joe consumed my time.

Marvin Humphrey