From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] Last minute tasks before inaugural release
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 04:11:43 GMT
Greets,

I'm putting this at the top so it's obvious:

Chris Mattmann, can you please hold off on sending out release announcements
until the issues in this email are addressed?

So, having gotten a bee in my bonnet about fixing the Windows build today, I
didn't get to a couple other things that need to be taken care of in advance
of our imminent release.

The multi-page website is nearly finished.  Please take a look:

    http://lucy.staging.apache.org/lucy/

It needs two more things:

  * A real downloads page which conforms to
   <http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html>.  This has to get
   done before Chris can modify any links on it.  :)
  * Autogenerated documentation for 0.1.0.  I anticipate getting something
    bare-bones staged using Pod::Simple::XHTML by noon PST tomorrow.

The other tasks we need to take care of are:

  * Drafting a release announcement.
  * Coordinating with the Apache Public Relations Committee (?)
  * Deciding where to publish the announcement.

It seems to me that a brief announcement is OK.  Here's a sketch:

    Title: Announcing Apache Lucy 0.1.0 (incubating)

    We are pleased to annouce the inaugural release of Apache Lucy™, version
    0.1.0!

    Apache Lucy is full-text search engine library written in C and targeted
    at dynamic languages.  The inaugural release provides Perl bindings.

    Lucy is a "loose C" port of Apache Lucene™, a search engine library for
    Java -- it is similar in purpose to Lucene, but designed to take advantage
    of C's unique capabilities.

    For more information, please visit the Apache Lucy website:

        http://incubator.apache.org/lucy/

    Disclaimer:

        Apache Lucy is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software
        Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the Apache Incubator. Incubation is
        required of all newly accepted projects until a further review
        indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
        process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful
        ASF projects.  While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection
        of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that
        the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.

    Regards,

    The Apache Lucy development team:

        Chris Hostetter
        Marvin Humphrey
        Peter Karman
        Nathan Kurz
        Chris Mattmann
        Mike McCandless
        Upayavira
        David E. Wheeler
        Simon Willnauer

With regards to the Apache Public Relations Committee, I'm referring to this
directive:

    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

    Podlings MUST coordinate with the Apache Public Relations Committee on all
    publicity activities by a podling.

    The open source space can be difficult to negotiate even for experienced
    professionals. The Apache Public Relations Committee understands this
    space and it is in the best interests of all that they are consulted.

I skimmed this document before, but it hadn't sunk in that it was A) official
policy and B) so severe.  I'm a little confused as to how constrained we are,
as I don't recall having seen any discussions on general@incubator.a.o on the
subject in the last year.

I was thinking I'd publish the announcement on three forums:

    * perlmonks.org
    * The Portland Perl Mongers list (where KinoSearch was first announced
      back in late 2004!)
    * The San Diego Perl Mongers list.

(I encourage others to lay claim to any of those -- in which case I'll step
aside.)

Provided that the Apache PRC approves, I suppose.  It does look like we need
to run things by them:

    http://markmail.org/message/tycspn5yyhjn2wlp

    This section was put in place to avoid companies making PR out of simply
    contributing code to Apache and then abandoning the project, having gotten
    "free" PR.

    But once a podling has jumped through the release hoops, it's considered
    proper to announce the milestone.

    > Do I have to run them past someone?

    Yes, the PRC at apache dot org needs to approve all announcements. You can
    contact them (us) any time for assistance (but you will probably have to
    write the press release yourselves).

While I'm as excited as anyone, it's best not to rush things.  Handling
publicity well so that you give a professional impression is important.

    * It would be nice if all announcements went out the same day.
    * It would be nice if CPAN artifacts were already available when
      interested Perl people recieve announcements.
    * The website must be ready, including working download links.
    * Etc.

Marvin Humphrey