From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.1.0-incubating release candidate #3
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 17:12:15 GMT
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:35:40AM -0400, Michael McCandless wrote:
> +1 to release RC3.

Excellent -- thank you for participating in Lucy's incubation, Mike!

Now we have three binding votes from our Mentors, and we don't have to
contemplate whether my first act as a newly minted member of the Incubator PMC
would be to provide the threshold vote for a project I'm heavily involved in.
:)  For subsequent Lucy releases, I won't hesitate to cast the third binding
vote, because hanging out on general@incubator.a.o over the last year has made
me hypersensitive to the scarcity of Mentors and their time, and because I
feel as though I have learned the Incubator and Apache's requirements well
enough to vote responsibly.  For this inaugural release, though, I'm glad to
see Lucy achieve a nice, solid vote tally.

> I was able to build, test & install on Fedora 13 Linux.
>
> My Perl world is apparently quite stale (I'm a Python guy!) -- I had
> to go install a bunch of prereqs, starting with Module::Build (even
> though Perl was 5.10.1), but also all sorts of other interesting ones.

That's interesting.  I quite deliberately targeted 5.10.0 when setting the
minimum module version requirements for Lucy, and verified the build-and-test
recipe on our ReleaseVerification page with a pristine 5.10.0 install.  To
avoid any licensing ambiguities, the *only* non-core-Perl prerequisites we
officially require are those covered explicitly by
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-86>.

Module::Build became core in Perl 5.10.0.  Installing it and its many
prerequisites will be necessary on 5.8.x (Lucy has a hard cutoff at 5.8.3 as a
minimum because that's when Unicode support achieved a semblance of
stability).  If you didn't have it, that suggests that Fedora may have
stripped it out.

Thanks for persevering -- installing a modern Module::Build does pull in a
boatload of dependencies. :\  Most of our users either won't go through that,
or it won't throw them for a loop because enough CPAN distros use
Module::Build that you're going to need it eventually if you're doing serious
Perl development.

Marvin Humphrey