From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] 0.1.0 release prep
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 22:58:55 GMT
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:56:05PM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> OK, let me be more clear and concrete -- I'm will cut it before or at the
> latest, by EOD Sunday. That's what I meant.

Thanks, Chris.

I'm concerned by the somewhat personal tone in the heated exchange that went
past just before this, such as when Joe said, "No more stalling Chris", and
when Chris responded, "Get over yourself Joe".  Chris's good intentions and
investment in Lucy's success are not in doubt, and there's no way he would be
purposefully "stalling".  I don't think Joe meant to imply that, but the
wording was regrettable.  And regarding the rejoinder, dialing down a response
instead of ratcheting up -- or simply not responding at all -- is an extremely
valuable skill that ideally we would like to see our forum participants
deploy.  Both Apache at large and the KinoSearch community that moved here
have long traditions of keeping things constructive that we should all strive
to uphold.

That said, I'm grateful for Joe's energy and desire to move us forward, and
the admirable responsiveness in Chris's followup, above.  I'm relieved and
happy that the end result has turned out to be people resolving their
differences and arriving at a concrete plan acceptable to everyone.

Moving on to another important aspect of the release...

Chris, the last item on the ReleaseGuide for the RM has says this about the
release announcement email:

    Use the entry in the CHANGES file as the basis for your email.

That will work fine for all releases going forward, but it's not ideal for
0.1.0.  The CHANGES entry for this release is minimalist, just mentioning the
software grant.

As a substitute, I think we should work up a draft release announcement on the
dev list over the next couple days using an enumeration of Lucy's features as
a starting point.

Marvin Humphrey