From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] 0.1.0 release prep
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 18:58:47 GMT
On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 07:54:24AM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Sure I'll try and spend some time this weekend on it...

Ping. :)

It's been two weeks, and I don't think it makes sense to wait any longer.
Chris, if you don't anticipate your schedule allowing you to roll the release
artifacts and call the PPMC vote within one week from today, I volunteer to be
Release Manager.

The way Lucy's release institutions have been set up, the Release Manager role
is minimal and mechanical.

  * You barely need to know anything about Lucy.
  * You don't need to know Perl.
  * Our release tarball is nothing more than an archive of an svn export.
  * Aside from bumping the version number and inserting a release date,
    release prep is the collective responsibility of the community rather than
    the RM (and has been completed for 0.1.0).
  * Quality control is the responsibility of the PPMC -- the RM doesn't even
    need to inspect the source tree (at least not while wearing the RM hat).

Here's what the RM needs:

  * Lucy commitership.
  * Some familiarity with Apache institutions such as voting and the
    Incubator.
  * A Unixy OS.
  * Enough expertise in svn, gpg etc. to follow the ReleaseGuide recipe.

Things have been arranged this way because it's in Lucy's interest to have
many release managers over time and to avoid burning them out.  The fact that
our first RM was likely to be someone who's not an active developer was
helpful for enforcing discipline and ensuring that we could not fall back to
relying on closely held expertise.

Chris, you've been active as a Mentor; I hope that you will find time to
review the artifacts, and that you will eventually vote +1 in support of
Lucy's inaugural release.  With an accumulation of diligent IP clearance work,
a clean RAT report, and a how-to-review checklist assembled per Hoss's
suggestion at <http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleaseVerification>, I'm confident
that we will secure our 3 Incubator PMC votes, and I'm confident about asking
you for yours.  But since the Lucy RM role has been aggressively pared down,
it's less crucial who performs it, and it's more important that we move soon.

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey