From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] C TAP test harnesses
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 06:42:06 GMT
----- Original Message ----

That would undo the point of the whole report infrastructure.  The point of the
report stuff is that it allows you to direct the TAP output anywhere, to a file,
to a socket, to a bucket brigade, etc.  I want to keep that flexibility to allow
at.[ch] to be used in a client-server environment where Test::Harness drives the
client but at.[ch] runs in the server which dishes out TAP to the client.

It's easier and cheaper to use snprintf than it is to provide a stream
abstraction with
a custom formatter.  Yeah there is a cutoff involved, but it shouldn't hamper
the
output in practice.

> > > If the  apreq community were to  decide spontaneously to remove APR as a
> > > dependency  from  at.c/at.h and start publishing it as a public API with
>full
> > >  backwards  compatibility promises, that would be great.  But it  doesn't
>make
> > > sense  for apreq to accept these changes, and it  doesn't make sense for
>Lucy

> > > depend on apreq  code when it isn't in apreq's interest to tailor it to
>Lucy's
> > >  needs.
> > >
> > > If we're going to put in this much  effort making  a test harness work for

>us,
> > > we should either  fork it and own the code, or we  should be contributing
>to a
> > >  common project with an official public API.
> >
> > If we can get lucy  using the code at http://github.com/joesuf4/at then that
>can
> > be the  upstream location for both projects.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> +1 to switch  Charmonizer's test files over to this test harness, with an eye
> towards  deleting trunk/charmonizer/src/Charmonizer/Test.[ch].
>
> I have some IP  concerns, though.  If the project stays on Github, things are
> going to  get complicated from a code provenance standpoint.  Our Github
> commits  have not been granted to the ASF, so the ALv2 header in those files
is
> no  longer accurate.  We'll need to change the copyright to use your name,
per
> the guidelines in the ALv2's appendix.  We'll also need to add  LICENSE and
> NOTICE files to the Github repo, and when we pull them in to  Lucy, we'll need
> to add a clause to Lucy's NOTICE.
>
> I'm willing to do  the legal busywork to help ensure that all our i's are
> dotted and t's  crossed, but it might be less troublesome to have these files
> live at the ASF  somewhere.  I'm OK with your original plan to fork within
> Lucy.  I  guess I'm OK with apreq as upstream, too, if apreq really is OK with
> these  changes -- if Lucy decides that we have to fork at some future point,
we
> can  just fork then.
>
> Also, if we want to start committing this stuff to Lucy  soon, we should start
> a topic branch in svn, since this shouldn't go into  0.1.0.

I can wait for the release.  No rush.