From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Who should perform query optimization?
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2011 04:30:03 GMT
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 08:23:49PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:08:05PM -0700, Nathan Kurz wrote:
> >> Query optimization is a great thing, but it should not happen behind the
> >> scenes.
> >
> > That's a really interesting perspective.
>
> One I disagree with, personally.

You're both right.™  :)

In fairness, I took Nate's quote out of context.  I agree with him in the
original context, and with you in this context.  :)

> > Honestly, I doubt that many users will seek to exert manual control over query
> > optimization -- but if they want to, they can.
>
> Nice that it's there, but it should be damn near impossible for a user to
> optimize a query better than the core does, IMHO.

For the core TF/IDF scoring model, yes, I fully agree.

But Nate would like to use Lucy with an alternative matching engine.  He needs
the freedom to implement his own query optimization mechanisms.  If Lucy
performs all query optimization "behind the scenes" and that behavior can't be
overridden, it's a problem.

Marvin Humphrey