From Nathan Kurz <n...@verse.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Host overriding of all non-final methods
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 21:10:32 GMT
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Nathan Kurz <nate@verse.com> wrote:
> Great.  I think you could get away with dropping 'inline' as well.  My
> point was not that Clownfish needs to inline things, but that if you
> really want to squeeze out the last drop of performance by avoiding
> function calls, you'll have to take control of the compilation
> yourself, likely by rewriting the entire core class in some unreadable
> and unmodifiable fashion.

Responding to myself, I just learned that GCC now supports Link Time
Optimization, which might make this sort of inter-module inlining
practical: <http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/LTO.html>.  I'd known
that it was possible with LLVM:
<http://llvm.org/docs/LinkTimeOptimization.html>, but not that it had
landed in GCC.   This might make creating a benchmark easy enough that
one can see what (if anything) one is missing.

--nate