From Nathan Kurz <n...@verse.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Remaining CPAN module dependencies
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:42:38 GMT
> I started a thread on PerlMonks to see whether by custom compiling Perl we
> could coax the same functionality out of Valgrind that we can get out
> Test::LeakTrace.  Unfortunately, it looks like that won't work:
>
>    http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=893231

It's been a while since I've done this, but I have some vague memory
of having done something similar in the deep past.  But perhaps this
was at a time when Perl handled cleanup differently.  I presume you've
found the Valgrind macros for custom allocators and memory pools?
http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/manual-core-adv.html

Could you just always access the Perl memory functions via wrappers
that inform Valgrind that memory is being allocated?  Or maybe I'm
misunderstanding the issue:  are you already doing this and the
problem is only with incrementing the refcounts of memory that Perl
has already allocated?   Although it's not a true allocation, it seems
like there would be a way to abuse Valgrind into tracking it like one.
 Tracking these by hand doesn't seem to bad either --- you could
probably even use the Valgrind macros to raise the alarm if something
is leaked.

I also feel compelled to mention that there is no prize for being the
purest piece of software in Apache.  If the lawyers don't feel there
is a problem in mentioning but not distributing a debug only target
that has a incompatible license, I don't feel compelled to remove it.
Also worth mentioning is that it doesn't hurt to ask the author of
Test::Leaktrace if it could be used under a different license.

--nate