From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Reminder: keep the project status file up to date
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:16:50 GMT
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 08:29:50PM -0700, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> Looking over the official project status page...

Thanks for the audit, Hoss!

> * Nathan's committer id

It's "nate".

> * mailing list and svn module created under incubator namespace - DONE
> * "Migrate the project to our infrastructure" - DONE

Agreed, those can both be marked as "DONE".

> * "Verify distribution rights" (i think that all got cleared up, didn't it?)

I interpret that checklist item as requiring, in addition to the completion of
the code grant, that we address all non-ALv2-compatible dependencies -- since
those dependencies impact our ability to distribute our code under the ALv2.

In my opinion, we can mark that item as DONE on 2011-03-20 -- just last week.
All non-ALv2-compatible dependencies have now been eliminated save two,
Parse::RecDescent and JSON::XS.  See
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-137> for details.

Note that although we're marking the item as done, Lucy can't graduate until
those last two dependencies are purged, resolving LUCY-137.  We've gotten a
variance that allows us to make an incubating release thanks to the
half-a-loaf resolution of <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-86>,
but that's only a short term fix.

> * need to make sure the "Incubation status reports" section is kept up to
>   date every time a board report is filed (looks like the link to the
>   latest one is missing)

My bad, missed it last time. :)

> * the "Project specific" section is there for a reason.  If there is
>   anything folks think Lucy absolutely needs to do before being considered
>   for graduation, that's not already listed elsewhere on the status page,
>   it should be in that section (or if nothing else: there should be a link
>   there to a wiki page -- or jira "tag" search -- enumrating these things)

I think the only item we'd consider mandatory and that isn't covered by
existing Incubator guidelines is our 0.1.0-incubating release.

The main challenges for us during Lucy's incubation are assimilation of the
KinoSearch code base (almost done, just those last two dependencies) and
diversification of our committer ranks (needs work).  However, those are
standard-issue Incubator criteria.

> * don't be shy about listing line items in the "News" section as big
>   milestones are reached

Perhaps getting to the point where we are IP clear for 0.1.0-incubating merits
mention -- it sure took a lot of work!  Certainly the release of
0.1.0-incubating will qualify.

Marvin Humphrey