From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Other Analyzer renames
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 00:33:59 GMT
On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 10:45:03PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
> I think moving these class names is probably good. But does it need to happen
> before 0.1?

For simple renaming, as with Tokenizer, Stemmer, and Stopalizer, the consensus
building takes a lot longer than the coding. :)

I think it's a good idea to get these classes moved now, because we minimize
disruptions to the Lucy userbase hivemind down the road.  Also, if we were to
relase as is then move them later, I'd advocate installing compatibility stubs
so that apps don't crash on update -- but we don't need to install those stubs
if we make the moves now.

For PolyAnalyzer, it's a tad trickier because we're contemplating a refactor
rather than a simple move.  Furthermore, there's another refactoring pass on
the horizon, and I'm not sure that we've nailed the API design with the
proposed breakout of EasyAnalyzer.

This is the checklist item from
<http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/Release-0.1-incubating> that I'm trying to clear
out:

  * Move some classes around (all Analyzers underneath LucyX? Nothing under
    LucyX? Factor SnowballStopalizer out of Stopalizer?)

LucyX has been addressed in another post.

I think we more-or-less have consensus on moving Tokenizer, Stemmer, and
Stopalizer.  We can take care of those, leaving PolyAnalyzer for another day,
and mark the checklist item as done.

Marvin Humphrey