From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Build from top dir
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:14:18 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 12/09/2010 08:59 PM:

>>  % make manifest && make dist
>
> The 'dist' build target from Lucy::Build does the same thing.  We *have* to
> build MANIFEST on the fly at dist time because up until that point, the
> core/, charmonizer/, clownfish/ and devel/ directories all live one level up.

ah, I misunderstood when the annoying warning was happening. It's at

 % perl Build.PL

not

 % ./Build manifest

time. Ok. That is a pita.

> If we aggressively maintain MANIFEST.SKIP, that makes things a little easier,
> but in my experience building MANIFEST in a dirty directory tends to scoop up
> things like little test scripts I hacked up.

ya, I've been bitten by that too.

Mostly I am in the habit of always running 'make distcheck' before 'make
dist' which will warn about MANIFEST / dir mismatches.

> Maybe we can create a fake_manifest build target that adds everything under
> trunk/perl/ which is in svn?  I.e. we accept that we have to maintain the
> stupid MANIFEST, but at least we make the maintenance less labor-intensive?

If we always build a dist from a 'svn export' rather than a working dir.
Or even a clean 'svn co', does this issue go away?