From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Tool for updating version numbers
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:03:39 GMT
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 09:26:37PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
> is this something you plan to write? or are you offering up the idea in the hope
> someone else will take it on as a task?

I plan to write it, but if someone else were to volunteer, I'd step aside.
Ideally, I wouldn't be writing any code, since making me superfluous is a
criteria for Lucy's graduation from the Incubator!

It's true that this task is simpler than others on our TODO list -- like
eliminating the JSON::XS and Parse::RecDescent dependencies -- and it's true
that time I spend on update_version is time I don't spend on tougher problems.
But even the tougher problems are tasks that eventually, someone else should
be taking on.  The main point of discussing them on-list before implementing
them is not to recruit an implementor, but to seek consensus and improve the
design.  It's better to find out early on that the community has misgivings
about an approach than to labor in secret over a patch which provokes
contention when it is unveiled.

Nevertheless, my immediate goal is to collaborate with you and complete the
<http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleaseGuide> you started; writing update_version
is a sub-task of that, and if nobody snatches it out of my hands, I'm not
going to let it get in the way.

Marvin Humphrey