From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] X.Y.Z version number feasibility
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:39:34 GMT
On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 03:04:55PM -0800, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> One example of a distro where version numbers are expressed differently in
> different contexts is Apache's Mail::SpamAssassin.
>
>     Dist archive name => Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.1.tar.gz
>     Documentation     => 3.3.1
>     META.yml          => 3.003001
>     $VERSION          => "3.003001"
>
> Note that SpamAssasin used the floating point variant in META.yml.  I'd be
> inclined to use the X.Y.Z format there, as Duncan does for his distro
> Set::Relation.
>
>     Dist archive name => Set-Relation-0.12.7.tar.gz
>     Documentation     => 0.12.7
>     META.yml          => 0.12.7
>     $VERSION          => "0.012007"

In light of how downstream distributions will be prepared, I think we should
consider using floating point numbers for META.yml after all.  It's possible
that we'll botch a CPAN package for a Lucy release.  In that case, we'll need
to bump the version number, but we won't want to make a new official Apache
release.

I don't trust the consumers of META.yml to compare an X.Y.Z version number and
an X.Y.Z.N version number properly, but I do trust them with floating point
version numbers.

     ASF release       => lucy-0.2.0-incubating.tar.gz
     CPAN release      => Lucy-0.2.0.1.tar.gz
     Documentation     => 0.2.0.1
     META.yml          => 0.002000001
     $VERSION          => "0.002000001"

Hmm, I wonder if we'll end up in an arms race with other packagers...

Marvin Humphrey