From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject [lucy-dev] X.Y.Z version numbers and stable forks
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 00:00:54 GMT
Greets,

The policy of leaving trunk perpetually unstable while forking stable releases
into new namespaces has worked well so far for KinoSearch1 1.00 and
KinoSearch 0.31.  I look forward to forking Lucy1. :)

To communicate that the "Lucy" namespace is perpetually unstable, it would be
nice to continue as we have with KinoSearch: we never get to version 1.0.
However, if we go with X.Y.Z version numbers, I think we will need to change
one aspect of our version number strategy -- we can't sync the version numbers
as closely.

    KinoSearch1 1.00 => fork from KinoSearch 0.1x
    KinoSearch2 2.00 => fork from KinoSearch 0.2x (skipped)
    KinoSearch3 3.00 => fork from KinoSearch 0.3x (planned)

In order to make that stratagem work with X.Y.Z numbers, every release of the
unstable trunk "Lucy" would have to be a "bugfix" release.

    Lucy 0.1.0
    Lucy 0.1.1
    Lucy 0.1.2
                Lucy1 1.0.0
    Lucy 0.2.0
    Lucy 0.2.1
    Lucy 0.2.2
    Lucy 0.2.3
    Lucy 0.2.4
                Lucy2 2.0.0
    Lucy 0.3.0

Many of those releases will be much more than bugfixes, though.

Instead, I think we should advance the minor version whenever it's
appropriate, and just spin off stable forks whenever it makes sense.  Here's
how things might play out:

    Lucy 0.1.0
    Lucy 0.1.1
    Lucy 0.2.0
    Lucy 0.2.1
    Lucy 0.2.2
                Lucy1 1.0.0
    Lucy 0.3.0
    Lucy 0.4.0
    Lucy 0.4.1
                Lucy2 2.0.0
    Lucy 0.5.0
    Lucy 0.6.0
    Lucy 0.10.0
    Lucy 0.11.0
    Lucy 0.11.1
                Lucy3 3.0.0
    Lucy 0.12.0

While there's no urgency until we get to our second release, I thought it was
worthwhile to explore this issue prior to adopting X.Y.Z version numbers.

Marvin Humphrey