From Nathan Kurz <n...@verse.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Index modernizer
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2010 00:39:51 GMT
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> But if you were to make it automatic and easy, I'd concentrate more on
>> automatic imports from Lucene than from KS. :)
>
> I doubt that Lucene imports will ever happen.  Certainly I'm never going to
> write that code.  The Lucene file format is much too complicated.

Perhaps an insidious inside job then: export rather than import.
Presumably it would be fairly easy to write a plugin that would be
capable of writing out a Lucy file from within Lucene.  This might be
a fine project for a Java programmer with Lucene experience to gain
familiarity with the Lucy file format.   Anyone lurkers fit this
description? :)

In general, I do think it would be useful to be able to benchmark
against Lucene.  One doesn't need to have full compatibility, but the
ability to go back on forth for the simple stuff seems like it would
be a boon.  If the Lucy format is simple enough, one could even make
things fair by adding a Lucy import option to Lucene, so someone can
easily see which one fits best for their needs.

--nate