From Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Generalize Tutorial for multiple host languages
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 19:07:38 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 11/5/10 5:00 PM:

> Fortunately, even if the Lucy sample apps continue to operate in an HTML/CGI
> context rather than migrate to plain-text/command-line as proposed, it's easy
> to remove the dependencies on HTML::TreeBuilder, HTML::Entities, and
> Data::Pageset, which were actually introduced not too long ago.  We'll just go
> back to manual paging code (slightly more verbose but in an area that doesn't
> matter), CGI::escapeHTML() instead of HTML::Entities::encode_entities() (I
> generally try to avoid CGI.pm but oh well), and stripping of HTML tags with
> regexes (hackish but fine for a demo).

HTML::Entities is licensed under the same terms as Perl, which means it may be
redistributed under the Artistic License or the GPL. But it's up to the
redistributor to decide, yes?

Same is true of HTML::TreeBuilder and Data::Pageset.

So I don't see why it's necessary to reinvent those dependencies. The Artistic
license is *not* listed under the "Category X" page at
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

It is idiomatic of Perl code to use CPAN. Unless a CPAN module is explicitly
licensed under the GPL (or other Category X license), why jettison it? I don't
see where the Apache standards dictate that.

We can't (for example) use SWISH::3 because it is explicitly GPL licensed. Many
(most?) CPAN modules are licensed "under the same terms as Perl" which it seems
to me makes them fair game for example code.