From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Slow migration to Makefiles
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:02:21 GMT
Thanks Nate, cool, alright, so it sounds like the 3 of you are fine with make and if it's a
simple make ; make all ; make install (probably with a sudo in there somewhere ;) ) then even
I could get it right (which is saying something!) :)

Would be nice to know what Simon thinks since he's a Lucy committer now too...

Cheers,
Chris

On Nov 17, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Nathan Kurz wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Hmm, my 2 cents is that it's infinitely simpler to understand a build.xml file (or
better yet a Maven pom.xml :) -- just my opinion people no tomatoes!) than it is to understand
makefiles, or better yet, programs that generate makefiles on the fly, or that generate other
build scripts on the fly etc etc.

> I much prefer Make to all alternatives.  Lucy is at base a C project,
> and Make is the standard for C.  Certainly other things can work, but
> most anything else causes me about the same amount of alarm as a
> project that has only a README.doc in Word format.
>
>> Ant is available on nearly every Linux distribution that I've come across in recent
years (installed into /usr/bin/ant or some variant).

> I don't recall the details, but I recently tried to install Ant on my
> current desktop (Linux Slamd64) and gave up.  I'll do it from source
> at some point, but think it's silly that I'm not able to make updates
> to the Lucy project page until then.  My initial impressions of Ant
> are hence quite negative.
>
>> That said, these are just my preferences (as are Marvin's for Make/programs that
generate makes and so forth :) ). What do others think? The key question to ask yourselves
is:

>> 1. will Marvin be the *only* RM that this project ever sees?
>
> Had to look up RM.  No, presumably there will be other Release
> Managers so that Marvin can spend his time on areas more demanding of
> his particular expertise.
>
>> 2. will Marvin be the *only* person building this project, ever?
>
> No, I presume that some significant percentage of users will be
> building this.  The bar should be pretty low, roughly equivalent to
> 'make config; make all; make install'.
>
>> 3. of the 2-3 existing Lucy developers, what are the preferences? I know Marvin's:
what about Peter/Nate?

> Make without reliance on autoconf or other impenetrable junk.  The
> general approach Marvin is currently using seems fine, although
> removing reliance on Perl seems good.   I want something short that
> can be clearly understood in it's entirety.
>
> --nate
>
> ps.  My feelings on Make are reasonably echoed here:
> http://blog.jgc.org/2010/11/things-make-got-right-and-how-to-make.html

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246