From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Index modernizer
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:37:38 GMT
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:48:54AM -0800, Nathan Kurz wrote:
> It feels like generous severance pay for fired executives.  In theory,
> it helps you hire the next person if they see how well you treated the
> outgoing one. In practice, it tends to look like wasted money that
> could be better spent.  Yes, you want to treat your existing users
> well, but be careful about spending to much effort on them and not
> enough on improving the product.   Concentrate most of your efforts on
> the 10x as many new users you hope to have and provide them with the
> best experience you can.

I agree that we should privilege active developers.

> It's open source software.  Perhaps the automated solution could be
> provided to the community by someone who needs it, rather than by the
> main developer?  At least you could wait for their plaintive wailing.
> Unless of course you need it internally, in which case it would be a
> great thing for you to be working on.

I've already written the patch which allows Lucy to read indexes written by
recent versions of KinoSearch.  :)  All it does is alias a few class names so
that deserialization of schema files doesn't blow up.

> But if you were to make it automatic and easy, I'd concentrate more on
> automatic imports from Lucene than from KS. :)

I doubt that Lucene imports will ever happen.  Certainly I'm never going to
write that code.  The Lucene file format is much too complicated.

Marvin Humphrey