From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] Generalize Tutorial for multiple host languages
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 21:40:31 GMT
On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 10:03:47AM -0700, Nathan Kurz wrote:
> I was about to write the same thing as Peter just did: don't generalize a
> tutorial, rather provide a native version per language with a many real
> world examples as possible.  It's OK if you also want to have a meta
> tutorial as a template guide for developers (although maybe this is the same
> as the C guide) but don't try to make a single doc that covers both C and
> Ruby.

OK, I can work with this.

I have misgivings about the violation of DRY and the increase in maintenance
burden; if Lucy is successful, we will add more bindings and each binding will
cost more as a result of the branching we're choosing to initiate now.  I
predict that attempting to keep a multiple tutorials up-to-date is going to
introduce documentation bugs in the future.

However, I believe that if there's a place to pour your resources, it's
introductory tutorial documentation and sample applications.  The costs are
justifiable.

Marvin Humphrey