From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [lucy-dev] ASL headers, etc.
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2010 01:17:06 GMT
On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 04:52:06PM -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Next, I'll install ASL headers into every file in core/, with one exception:
> core/KinoSearch/Util/StringHelper.c. That file contains third-party copyright
> notices, and we'll deal with it separately.

In addition to original material, StringHelper.c contains material derived
from two sources: the Unicode Consortium and IBM's ICU4C.  Going by
<http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party>, it seems that these
materials would be most cleanly handled as separate files -- that way, there
is only one license in effect for each file.

In two separate commits, I'll break out the materials into StringHelper2.c and
StringHelper3.c, at the same time adding the copyright notifications to NOTICE
as per <http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt> and adding the
license text to LICENSE, using the Apache web server LICENSE file as a
template: <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE>.   Per
the ASF legal docs, I won't be adding the ASL2 header to the new files.

I plan to upload patches to LUCY-123 and wait a couple days before committing,
in case others wish to comment.

Marvin Humphrey