From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <>
Subject Re: Lucy trademark issues
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2010 04:18:00 GMT
Hi Marvin,

On 7/25/10 9:10 PM, "Marvin Humphrey" <> wrote:

> I suspect that we will need guidance from legal affairs with regards to
> Zettair
> and possibly the others if we are to continue under the name Lucy.  Mentors,
> what do you suggest as a next step?

I would recommend sending an email to legal-discuss@ and trademarks@ (NOTE:
there) and request guidance.

My gut feeling on it is that it's something to solve _before_ graduating
from the Incubator, but not necessarily now since Lucy, a *full* subproject
of Lucene, which means something that was part of the overall Apache marks
watchdog, and there wasn't anything that ever came out of it.

In addition, now that Lucy is an official part of the Incubator, per Apache
guidelines, it is not an *officially* endorsed ASF project, and therefore my
guess is that its marks aren't subject to the same concerns that a TLP (or
even a sub-project I think) has.

Shane (Curcuru) and the rest of the gang on trademarks@ should be able to

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist