From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: Wiki non-migration
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:42:42 GMT
On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 06:16:42PM -0700, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : First, I think we should add the incubation disclaimer to the main wiki page.
> +1

> : I'm thinking of these pages in particular, as it might make sense to bundle
> : them with the distro some day and we need to make sure that they don't contain
> : any contributions of unknown origin:
> if those are the only pages you are worried about, i would suggest
> promoting them out of the wiki and into svn.

OK, that's what we should do, then.

> : I don't know how to handle permissions with MoinMoin, though.  I could go
> MoinMOin doesn't have any perms -- it's all or nothing.  which is why no
> MoinMoin content can ever be included in a release.

OK.  IMO, that's a nice-to-have.  I don't think it's essential.

> 1) do you want to use Confluence for managing the Lucy site?
>    (instead of forrest, or something else in svn)

I'm reluctant to use Confluence for the website a couple reasons.

First, it seems like overkill.  The main site only needs to be a few static
pages.  It's trivial to generate such a site using a few component templates
(header footer nav), a few content source files, and a 200-line Perl script
with no dependencies.

Second, I've gotten the impression that Confluence is a bit of a pain for
Infra to support.  Enough projects depend on Confluence that it's not going to
go away, but if we don't need it, I don't think we should use it.

Regardless of what tool we use to generate the main site, we're going to need
to generate documentation for each release using the tools favored by our
various host languages in order to present idiomatic display.  This will be a
bit of a pain, but IMO, it will be well worth it -- and so that's where I
think we should focus our energies.

> 2) do you want to use Confluence for managing a user ediable wiki?
>    (instead of MoinMoin)

IMO MoinMoin's fine, and we already have it set up.

> You can do both (by having two Confluence spaces created) or you can do
> one, or you can do the other ... or you can decided to do #1 now, and then
> punt on deciding #2 for later -- but #1 should probably be decided before
> much work is put into building the "new" Lucy website and adding any
> content to it.

In order to get something in place right away that looks half-decent, I think
we should just adapt the existing Forrest site.  It would be nice if nobody new
had to learn how to use Forrest, though.

That means I stay a bottleneck on the website in the short term, but IMO it's
better to proceed at leisure rather than worry about the site all-at-once
up-front.  By going with what we have, we'll immediately look spiffier than a
lot of other incubating projects.  :\

Marvin Humphrey

View raw message