From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Wiki non-migration
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2010 01:05:59 GMT

The Lucy Incubator proposal contained the following text:

    Lucy already has a MoinMoin wiki at It would be
    convenient to keep it, especially since its current location is also where
    it would end up upon TLP graduation, but we will defer to the wishes of
    the Incubator PMC if standard Incubator wiki placement is recommended.

Turns out I was confused -- there is no such "standard Incubator wiki
placement".  The Incubator has lots to say about branding and about podling
websites -- including website placement -- but existing podlings seem to have
their wikis at what would be the final location:

Nevertheless, I think there are two items we should consider for the existing
Lucy wiki.

First, I think we should add the incubation disclaimer to the main wiki page.

    Podling web sites MUST include a clear disclaimer on their website and in
    all documentation (including releases) stating that they are in
    incubation. Podlings SHOULD use the following text for all disclaimers:

        Apache "Podling-Name" is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache
        Software Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the name of sponsor.
        Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects until a further
        review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision
        making process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other
        successful ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a
        reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does
        indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.

Second, I think the following directive is germane and we should consider
locking down some of the existing wiki pages:

    Podlings may use a wiki to create documentation (including the website)
    providing that follow the guidelines. In particular, care must be taken to
    ensure that access to the wiki used to create documentation is restricted
    to only those with filed CLAs. The PPMC MUST review all changes and ensure
    that trust is not abused.

I'm thinking of these pages in particular, as it might make sense to bundle
them with the distro some day and we need to make sure that they don't contain
any contributions of unknown origin:

I don't know how to handle permissions with MoinMoin, though.  I could go
research the issue, but since I should avoid becoming a SPOF[1] in yet another
area, anybody else out there willing to take these two tasks on?

Once there's consensus that those issues are resolved, I think we can check
this item off of our list:

    Ask infrastructure to set up wiki (Confluence, Moin).

Marvin Humphrey

[1] SPOF: Single Point Of Failure

View raw message