From Upayavira>
Subject Re: Wiki non-migration
Date Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:19:13 GMT
On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 14:51 -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 09:10:25PM +0100, Upayavira wrote:
> > Have you created an AdminGroup page and locked that down with an ACL?
> I just tried to create an AdminGroup page with the following directive:
>     #acl MarvinHumphrey:read,write All:read
> The effort failed with this message:
>     You can't change ACLs on this page since you have no admin rights on it!

Fair enough. So it needs a little bit of editing in the file.

> > > be done in
> > >

> > You're probably right. If we want to make that change, I can do it.
> >
> > > It seems to me that like JIRA admin karma, MoinMoin wiki-wide admin karma
> > > ought to be restricted to PMC members.  However, I suspect we have to ask
> > > Infra to edit that file for us.  Maybe it's possible for them to add
> > > a "PMCMembers" or "AdminGroup" group and then for us to edit that group?
> >
> > Most folks don't need admin rights in that way. If you do, then maybe
> > you'd be better off having a parallel wiki for that content.
> The goal here is for PMC members to be able to lock down certain individual
> pages so that only contributors with CLAs on file can edit their content, per
> the recommendation at
> <>.
> That way, if we want to distribute that content in the future under ASL2, we
> can.

Sure. Technically, that is possible (and potentially better than
confluence for it), but I don't believe that anyone else at Apache is
doing it, so it would require a little thought.

> We don't need to lock down the whole wiki -- just individual pages.

While that is true, it is simpler to just have two wikis, one protected
and one not.

> In theory, we could go back to Infra every time that a new PMC member wants
> such karma.  But what I was thinking was that infra could grant admin
> privileges to AdminGroup once; then we could manage membership in AdminGroup
> ourselves by editing the content of <>.

That is what would happen. I would set up ACLs, and grant admin privs to
the AdminGroup, and put a few folks in it. The group could then be
self-maintaining from then on.

> However, I'm speculating about this having only perused the documentation.
> I'm not sure I've got the mechanism exactly right.

That's pretty much it.

> > > Oo, I think this is a good idea:
> > >

> > >     We'd prefer change emails to go to ivy-commits@incubator
> >
> > Assuming no-one will object, I have changed lucy wiki diffs to go to
> > lucy-commits instead. Let me know if I should undo it.
> Sweet, thanks!

You're welcome.

View raw message