From Peter Karman <>
Subject Re: [Lucy] Re: [Lucy Wiki] Update of "LucyIncubatorProposal" by PeterKarman
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 02:00:46 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 6/28/10 12:34 PM:

> Random thoughts:
>  * I think it would be good to emphasize that this proposal is a response to
>    suggestions from the Lucene PMC about community growth and fast releases.
>    I'd like to show that we intend to make good, conscientious use of the
>    mentoring that the Incubator offers, and also that this is a logical,
>    natural move for Lucy to make.

Seems to fit under Proposal or Background. It's a key part of the story, and as
such should probably not be "safely ignored by domain experts" in the Background
section. That seems to be the litmus test for what goes in Background vs Proposal.

>  * Somewhere we should indicate that the technical goals of the original Lucy
>    project has been achieved, and that now that that's happened we are ready
>    for a new phase focusing on community growth.

Under Proposal?

>  * The Apache values I care about most are code base transparency and
>    controlled competition.  Code base transparency is important because making
>    the code easy to work with makes it easier to contribute, increasing both
>    quantity and quality of contributions.  Controlled competition provides
>    motivation which increases quality of contribution.  I'm not sure where to
>    put those items; community is one possibility.

Looks like you have this under Alignment now?

Peter Karman  .  .

View raw message