From Peter Karman <>
Subject Re: [Lucy] Divide user mailing lists by host language
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 03:44:42 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 6/28/10 3:12 PM:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:01:27PM -0000, Apache Wiki wrote:
>>   === Mailing lists ===
>> +  * lucy-perl-users
> As mentioned on IRC, I added a "lucy-perl-users at incubator" mailing list.  I
> think that the communities that use Lucy bindings will be distinct, and that
> e.g. Ruby users may not want to see support mail for Perl or C or PHP
> bindings.
> So as a TLP, our user mailing lists would be arranged like so:
>  *
>  *
>  *
>  * etc.
> The risk is that some lists may be low traffic, but I think that's acceptable.
> The dev- and commits- lists should be unified, though, IMO.

My concern is that this seems a little premature and potentially confusing.
I.e., it forces users to triage their own questions as to whether their
conversation topic is host-language-specific or not.

My experience with Xapian, which has a moderate (5-10 messages a week) amount of
traffic, where there are only 2 lists (-dev and -users), is that all the various
language bindings are discussed on the -users list and it's not particularly
distracting. Language-specific threads can actually end up being illuminating to
non-users of the language.

Anyway, is it a big deal to add more lists later, based on demand, rather than
splitting them up in the initial proposal?

Peter Karman  .  .

View raw message