From Peter Karman <>
Subject Re: [Lucy] Incubator or out?
Date Sat, 26 Jun 2010 21:03:25 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 6/26/10 12:57 PM:

> Why not declare victory and make our prototype our product?

> Perhaps the best way to speed Lucy along is to submit an Incubator proposal
> which includes a collective software grant for KinoSearch, which we would
> subsequently rebadge as Lucy.  In its recent review of Lucy's status, the
> Lucene PMC overwhelmingly identified community building as the most important
> task for us to focus on.  The fastest way for us to get to the release that we
> need in order to attract new contributors and grow our community is to fill
> the remaining voids in the source tree via IP clearance work rather than
> software development.

> Regardless of what happens, I think that Lucy's interests are best served by
> assimilating the KinoSearch code base and pursuing commuity development
> aggressively.

One thing that should attract more people is if we can get more than just Perl
bindings implemented using Lucy. I'm thinking C, PHP, Ruby, Python, etc. To my
knowledge, none of those languages have an IR library on the level of Lucy
(which is why Lucy started), and if we can get a stable core to 1.0, we can
attract capable developers from some of those communities. It might even be
worth seeing if we could leverage SWIG.

Maybe the above Goes Without Saying, but I'm saying it anyway. :)

In any case, I like this proposal, Marvin. Tell me how I can help.

Peter Karman  .  .

View raw message