From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: [Lucy Wiki] Update of "LucyIncubatorProposal" by PeterKarman
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:34:50 GMT
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 02:36:58PM -0000, Apache Wiki wrote:
>   === Community ===
> - Apache is interested only in communities.
> + Lucy currently has a small community, many members of which originated in the KinoSearch

> + Lucy's chief challenge is growing its community, which it hopes to achieve through
efforts in two areas: reaching a 1.0 release, and actively reaching out to its target audience,
users and developers in the dynamic language communities who want a fast, scalable full-text
search solution in their native language.

While you were writing this I was in the coffee shop discussing "coopetition"
with a social scientist friend of mine.  :)

Random thoughts:

 * I think it would be good to emphasize that this proposal is a response to
   suggestions from the Lucene PMC about community growth and fast releases.
   I'd like to show that we intend to make good, conscientious use of the
   mentoring that the Incubator offers, and also that this is a logical,
   natural move for Lucy to make.
 * Somewhere we should indicate that the technical goals of the original Lucy
   project has been achieved, and that now that that's happened we are ready
   for a new phase focusing on community growth.
 * The Apache values I care about most are code base transparency and
   controlled competition.  Code base transparency is important because making
   the code easy to work with makes it easier to contribute, increasing both
   quantity and quality of contributions.  Controlled competition provides
   motivation which increases quality of contribution.  I'm not sure where to
   put those items; community is one possibility.
 * Dave Balmain contributed many important ideas while he was active, but all
   the code that has ever gone into the existing Lucy repository was written
   by the KinoSearch community.

Marvin Humphrey

View raw message