From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: Incubator or out?
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 01:47:27 GMT
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:47:38AM -0700, Nathan Kurz wrote:
> Is there a plan for packaging Clownfish independent of Lucy?

The project has been structured so that we have that option.  If Clownfish
were to become an external dependency, everything in two directories would

A bunch more work would be needed, moving classes such as
Lucy::Object::Hash outside of the Lucy hierarchy, and migrating some of the
dependencies that the classes in Lucy::Object have within Lucy::Util, such as
Lucy::Util::StringHelper.  I think FileHandle would leave with Clownfish as
well -- but that InStream and OutStream would stay.

Charmonizer has also been structured so that it could be broken out as an
external project.

As to whether we would really want to do that, it was more of a down-the-road
thing, if case others were to take interest in reusing those chunks of Lucy in
unrelated projects.

> In general, I apologize that I'm not going to have much time available
> in the immediate future for Lucy development proper.  I hope to free
> up such time someday.  But I'm happy to review others work, and to do
> what else I can.

You have a history of making valuable contributions that extends back several
years, including crucial architectural concepts like exploiting mmap so that
"the OS is our JVM".  You've also proven to be a resposible committer on
KinoSearch.  We should take the long view and include you as a committer on
the Incubator proposal based on that track record, not judge by how many lines
of code we think you'll generate over the next few months.

Marvin Humphrey

View raw message