From Dermot <>
Subject Re: [KinoSearch] Stable releases under new namespaces
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:57:59 GMT
On 15 March 2010 01:28, Marvin Humphrey <> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 02:29:49PM -0800, wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>> >  KinoSearch1 1.00    <-- branches/ks1
>> >  KinoSearch3 3.00    <-- branches/ks3
>> >  KinoSearch  4.00    <-- branches/maint-4.x
>> >  KinoSearch  5.00_01 <-- trunk
>> How would I write a KSx::  module that works with multiple KinoSearch
>> versions?
> I'd recommend against doing so.
> KSx modules should target the current "KinoSearch" release only -- they should
> not work KinoSearch1, KinoSearch3 or other stable forks.  If you want to
> support KinoSearch3, release a back-fork into KS3x.  If you get tired of
> perpetually modifying an extension to keep up with trunk, move it to the last
> stable branch and go inactive.
>> Would I have to  keep releasing a new KS3x:: or KS4x:: whenever there is a
>> new KinoSearch release?
> Whenever there is a major version increment, yes.  But the ongoing support
> burden should not be that great.
> It would be up to you whether you ever wanted to fix bugs on one of those
> forks, for example.  Unless it's something really serious, I wouldn't bother.
> Though there won't be anything stopping people from developing against a
> stable fork like KinoSearch3 from the get-go, these forks are mostly a way to
> insulate mature, immobile code bases from the changes on trunk.  I doubt we'll
> back-port features for them, just as we haven't back-ported improvements to
> stable-branch KinoSearch 0.1x over the last two years.  So there will be
> almost no churn, and thus very little potential for breakage due to changes in
> the main library.
>> Right now I’m having a maintenance nightmare, as two separate websites
>> are using different versions of KinoSearch that are no longer on CPAN.
>> And I haven’t had time to update the code for either of them.... And I
>> need to update my KSx modules, too. I’m just looking for a way to make
>> this all much easier.
> I understand and I want to help.  You haven't been very active lately, but
> historically you have made many valuable contributions.  I want to make sure
> that we don't abandon you, the same way I want to make sure we don't abandon
> MojoMojo or Socialtext.

I am not sure if this is a viable suggestion or one you've discounted
already but a number of modules use the 'Compat' namespace for
backward compatibility. So you might have a KinoSearch2::Compat that
allows sites to maintain backward compatibility by using that
namespace and new development can use KinoSearch2. Admittedly the KS
indexes may not be compatible but you do get to keep the whole
distribution together.

Thought I'd throw that in :)

View raw message