From Peter Karman <>
Subject Re: ProximityQuery
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:46:30 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 03/19/2010 11:06 AM:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:04:49PM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
>>> So, I think what we should do is clean up PhraseScorer so that it is clearer,
>>> then create ProximityScorer by cloning and modding it.  It's a mild violation
>>> of DRY, but that doesn't bother me.  All of us will benefit from the cleanup,
>>> and you'll walk away with a thorough understanding of the algorithm and a
>>> top-flight ProximityScorer.
>> ok. I'll go this route, creating a new KSx::Search::ProximityScorer. I'll send
>> some patches along when I have something useful.
> As a first step, how about I sweep through and expand the comments in
> PhraseScorer?
> It would be similar to what I'd say on the mailing list explaining the
> algorithm, only we'll actually make progress on the code. :)

sounds good.

you'll notice I checked in stubs for the new Proximity stuff last night
to trunk. I wasn't sure if there was a way to re-use some of the Phrase
classes, so I just created a parallel structure, including test file,
for the Proximity Scorer/Query classes.

Peter Karman  .  .

View raw message