From Peter Karman <>
Subject Re: Stable releases under new namespaces
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 04:03:08 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 3/12/10 12:16 PM:

> Under the proposed policy, we privilege and reward our most active users and
> contributors.  However, we don't completely screw over people who were once
> active but have since become inactive.  They are required to make a one-time
> sweep through their code to use the spun-off stable branch.
> This way, projects like MojoMojo and Socialtext -- which depend on KinoSearch
> but may not control exactly when Perl modules get upgraded on a machine
> running their software -- will be able to switch to a stable branch like
> KinoSearch1 and avoid breakage.

I agree on both those major points (reward activity, do no harm to legacy
users), and I guess I don't really have a strong opinion on the specific
implementation. Separate namespaces for stable, older releases seems like a
decent workaround for the limitations in how Perl/CPAN manage (or don't manage)

Peter Karman  .  .

View raw message