From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: [KinoSearch] Stable releases under new namespaces
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:30:19 GMT
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:57:59PM +0000, Dermot wrote:
> I am not sure if this is a viable suggestion or one you've discounted
> already but a number of modules use the 'Compat' namespace for
> backward compatibility.

It's a reasonable suggestion, and I hadn't considered it, but it doesn't seem
to me like it would offer us very much.

The CPAN modules which have "compat" in the name often mean different things by it.
For instance, Module::Build::Compat provides compatibility with MakeMaker,
while Apache2::compat actually provides a mod_perl 1.x shim that allows you to
migrate your code piecemeal.  Neither of those situations applies to us.

And unfortunately, it makes some module names which were already painfully
long even longer, e.g.

I can easily imagine that some people might want to avoid trunk instability
and develop with KinoSearch3 as a platform rather than KinoSearch, if they are
sure it has all the functionality they need; I'd rather not impose ridiculous
package names on them.

Marvin Humphrey

View raw message