From Nathan Kurz <>
Subject Re: [KinoSearch] 64-bit linux errors with t/core/032-string_helper.t
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:35:03 GMT
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Marvin Humphrey
<> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:33:00PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:
>> >Was this standalone file compiled with the same set of flags?  Maybe
>> >there's some aggressive optimizer gone whack?
>> bingo.
>> When I compiled with -O2 I got the standalone to break.
> Rokk. :)
> I think we stop here.  It's not worth working around this.  The test will
> prevent silent failure, and if people care about compiling on systems that
> exhibit the bug, the workaround of disabling optimization is straightforward.

Marvin might be right, but inexplicable bugs have a nasty way of
biting back.  Yes, there are real GCC bugs, but more often than not
there's something else going on.

Could you attach your failing standalone test case so I can take a
quick look at it?  I tried the inline one above, but saw nothing
strange with GCC 4.2.4 on Slamd64.

Nathan Kurz

View raw message