From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: [KinoSearch] Release strategies
Date Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:32:04 GMT
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 08:22:32PM -0800, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> > How can I help move toward a KS 0.30 release?
> I'll draw up a todo list.

I've updated the TODO list on the KinoSearch wiki:

To summarize, I think we need to move in three stages:

First, we need a KinoSearch 0.30_08 release, which must be index-compatible
with 0.30_072.  There has been a lot of churn in the code base since 0.30_07
came out, and it would be nice to give our users the option of downgrading
without needing to reindex if 0.30_08 turns out to have problems.

Next, we need a KinoSearch 0.30_09 release, where we make some changes to the
index format which earlier releases will not be able to read.

After that, we can release KinoSearch2.  The main thing I think we should do
in between KinoSearch 0.30_09 and KinoSearch2 is finish the class
reorganization we discussed a little while back (Moving Schema, FieldType
under KinoSearch2::Plan, Searcher to KinoSearch2::Search::IndexSearcher, etc).

One thing that is omitted from the TODO list for KinoSearch2 is opening up the
APIs for classes under Store -- InStream, OutStream, FileHandle, DirHandle --
which have been substantially improved since 0.30_07 came out and are close to
ready for public use.  I had originally planned to make them available for
0.30_08, but they shouldn't block.

Marvin Humphrey

View raw message