From Nathan Kurz <>
Subject Re: 64-bit document numbers
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 04:17:45 GMT
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Marvin Humphrey <> wrote:
> Since we're going to optimize for 64-bit architectures, though, I think we
> ought to look forward and define document numbers as 64-bit signed integers.
> That way, we won't have to worry about changing things down the road to meet
> the needs of growing search clusters.

I think it's good to handle everything internally as 64-bit, but I'm
unsure how that should interface with the outside.  In the input side,
we want to make sure that index formats can save document numbers in
whatever format they desire (likely 32-bit).  I'm guessing this will
be taken care of by your segment max.

But on the output side, we may also want 32-bit sizes if we are doing
clustering and need to send intermediate results between computers.
At the same time, the gathering computer will need to handle the docs
as 64-bit so as to merge results properly.   Probably can be fit in
after the fact, but just thought I'd mention it.

View raw message